Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Root of My Natural Hair Journey

Contrary to popular belief, I didnt go natural to embark on a soul searching journey back to my African heritage, or because it was the "in" thing to do. My hair wasn't terribly damaged from relaxers or short from breakage. The show "Girlfriends" was actually the reason for my decision...well actually Tracee Ellis Ross. Her hair was, and is just...WOWZERS!! 



I was ready for a new look. I hadn't seen my natural hair texture in years, and was anxious to see if I had hair like Joan, once I got rid of my perm.  Of course I didn't, but I realized that everyone has a different curl pattern and once I embarked on my natural hair journey there was no turning back for me. I started to fall in love with taking care of the curl pattern that I was born with.  I started gaining  inspriation from other curly girls and before long was obsessed with websites like Nappturality lending advice on styling and making your own products.


I didn't go natural because it was the cool thing to do. As a matter of fact I went natural 6 years ago, just to satisfy my own curiosity. Just to see how I looked with natural hair. There were hardly any products available for natural hair at the time. Furthermore I didn't know ANY other curly girls on campus at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore, or in my hometown of Baltimore. My hair has come a long way and  I think I'm in a good place with my hair right now. I've finally learned what my hair loves and hates.


Who are some of your hair inspirations? Curly Girls and Permies? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment